Re: exhaust manifold

---rhl@student.umass.edu wrote:

> Ok, i have heard that in pre 81 rabbits or something like that, the 4-
> 2 exhasut manifold can be used to replace the horrible 4 into 1 that
> i have on my 86 8valve.

Yup, this is true.

> My question, is exactly what years of
> rabbit can be used, do they need to be deisel?

I'm going to hazard a guess and say 1983-1984 and older.  No, they do
not have to be from a diesel.

> Is there a reason
> that the dual outlet exhaust manifold from an a2 can not be used?

Yes.

Oh, you want to know why? :)

The exahust outlet off slightly to the side, not centered, and won't line
up with your exhaust tunnel.

> Also, do i need a special downpipe to connect with the cat?

Not really.  You can get a nice one from Techtonics.

> Can I use the one from that rabbit, or do i need to get as pecial one?

Yes, no.  See above.

> Also, is the manifold that i get out of the rabbit the same as the
> "euro manifold" or is it smaller than the one that i could order from
> TT, or is it the same.

The Euro output manifold used 10mm studs, while the US one used 8mm(?)
studs.  The downpipe flange obviously changes.  Otherwide they are the
same as far as I know.

> Robert Luhrs
> 86 8 valve

==Brett