Re: A couple of goofball warning light/alarm questions

---Jeff Faulkner <jeffaulk@richmond.infi.net> wrote:

> I'm new to the scirocco world, so bear with me.

No problem, we've seen/read about pretty much everything.

> I've learned a lot from
> this list already (3 weeks), so I thought I'd throw these questions
> out.

That's very good, I wish everyone would read a little bit before posting
sometimes. :)

> The temp warning light on my 82 8v has a mind of its own.  will
> come on and stay on any old time-- cold start, after an hour of steady
> driving, with temp needle just shy of 3/4(?) and will occasionally send
> out a morse code message only the more intelligent than I could
> read/understand.  Bad sending unit?  Where the fk is it?

This exact thing happened to me once also.  Mine turned out to be a bad
sending unit.  Did the 82 have an expansion tank?  If so, that sensor
is screwed into the top of it.  It may just need to be cleaned.  Try
that first.  I might also suggest buying a Bentley manual for your
car if you're going to be working on it yourself.  Helps enormously.

> Question 2:
> Oil pressure warning flasher/buzzer does something similar.

What weight oil are you running?  If it's really a pressure problem,
and the sensor system isn't flaking out, then maybe a slightly
heavier oil would help a bit.  The oil pumps get a little tired
after a long while.  You could also have a bad 'oil computer (sic)',
which is a bit of a pain to get at and replace.  Oil weight first,
then oil pressure sensors, then circuit board or oil pump would be
order I attack this problem.

Good luck!

==Brett