Re: Hydraulic lifter noise

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999 16:48:47 +0100 Ewan Hopkins
<Ewan.Hopkins@computeraid.co.uk> writes:
>I heard an interesting technique for curing noisy lifters on the Audi
>list: drain your oil & replace with DIESEL.  Run until the noise goes
then
>refill with your normal oil.
>It wasn't specified how long would be reasonable to run it like this!
>
>Anyone else come across this?

Diesel fuel has alot of lubricating properties compared to regular
gasoline as well as cleaning agents. it would probably do a good job of
cleaning any deposits that might be accumulated within an oil passage but
to me, That's like committing suicide. Why risk damaging the main and rod
bearings because you have a bad lifter? That's making a bad situation
worse.

Heres what you do:
Remove the valve cover and pinpoint the bad lifter. Its gonna be a little
messy and on a 16V a PITA but replacing a crankshaft and all the bearings
is a much bigger PITA and alot more expensive so it makes this worth it.
Lifters are what, $10 each or something? Expensive to replace all of them
on a 16V but even if you replace a few of them That's still much better
than risking damaging the engine. (Another reason to love having an 8V.)

Besides, the only thing you should be putting in the crankcase is engine
oil and nothing else. Anyways.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and