Re: 4.25 Final Drive

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999 07:31:07 -0800 (PST) Matthew Yip <mgyip@yahoo.com>
writes:

> I thought the 4.25 was too high for any top end
>but my competition is using a 4.25 final drive.  FWIW, this isn't for
>anything that I'm using on the street - it's strictly for road racing.
>===
>Matthew Yip
>mgyip@yahoo.com

Some of the early Diesel truck FF trannies came with the 4.25's. only one
way to find out tho, tear it down. :(
I believe that some of the A1 Diesel Jetta's also came with the much
sought after 4.25's as well. Unfortunately, there's no way to know what's
in there without a complete tear down and do some counting complicated
with math. (So, you get dirty and you gotta think after. Fun.)

I think the 4.25 combined with a strong motor and the right stacked gears
can be alot of fun not to mention damn FAST on the street. Just going
from a FF to the 4K tranny made my car FEEL much faster even though the
HP had not been increased. I can imagine a 4.25 making the car much
"zingyier" (That's *MY* patented word. if anyone wishes to use it, they
must send me funds to cover its use.) getting thru the gears. Especially
on those slow sweepers.
Since you say its for road race use then there's no need to change the
gearing. Just use the gears you got and have a ball dude!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and