The work is done but......

Just wanted to say thanks to Mike(Virtual World), Mark(Adirondack) & Lee's
Junkyard @ H20 Cooler page for all their time and effort I just spent a few
days refreshing my 86 8v (T belt, idler, waterpump, new pulley's, old ones
were bent, oil pan gasket and valve cover gasket, clutch, main seal, tranny
output seals,new rotors and pagid pads,  motormounts all around and the
piece de resistance poly strut bearings.} To top it off I threw in a
programable wiper relay.

You know it is like falling in love again.

But all this work has generated a few questions-

First of all- the rear stainless brake lines, a few months ago I installed
front stainless brake lines, when I raised the rear of the car what I saw
scared me. I could not figure how to get a wrench on the rear lines to
loosen them. Could any of you Listers give me some sage advice, do I drop
the axel or is their some special wrench that would ease my way.

Second-
In addition to my 86 I am the spiritual guide to my girlfriend's 86 8v and
my previous 84 Wolfsberg now owned by a friend. Both of their cars suffer
from awful hunting idle on start. Sometimes it clears up sometimes it
persists. When I finished all the work on my 86 the problem appeared on it.
As a funny aside Miss Rebecca (the girlfriend) turned to me as the 86 went
300rpm-1200rpm-300rpm with her funny little smile and said "I guess now you
will figure out what is wrong with my car" (gotta love her)
Unfortunatly for them I traced my problem to a loose vacuum line that runs
from the idle compansation relays on the right shock tower to the vacuum
junction by the rubber intake boot. But I feel I should make a attempt at
fixing the other two just so we can have a happy Scirocco Family. I'll break
the two cars done for your perusal

The 86 has the hunting idle at start up from stone cold for a good few
minutes. It fades as the car warms up. I have checked all the vacuum lines
and redid the rubber hose ends with fresh hose. I also replaced the idle
adjustment screw in the throttle body. As far as I can tell the vacuum
system in this car is sealed. When she purchased the car the wires to one of
the idle comp relays on the shock tower were cut and I reattached them but
it garnered no change.

The 84 is a little different, it seems to start up great but as it warms it
starts hunting, worse that the 86, it almost stallls and then connects then
back to stall. In stop and go traffic it can die when you take your foot off
the gas at a light. I was working on it yesterday and discovered a broken T
fitting for what looks like the vacuum resivoirs in the fenders. It was
right by the fuel filter but when I replaced it there was no change.
Adjusting the idle screw seems to cure it for a moment but then the loping
idle comes back.
Just a little background on the 84 When I bought it in 90 the wires to the
5th injector were cut but the car ran perfectly cold start was seamless and
unless the temp was way below freezing the car will light right up so I
never replaced those wires. Poking under the hood yesterday I discoverd the
wires to the (what I think is a) air/vacuum valve behind the intake manifold
were also cut and I could not find the other end of the wire.

Anyway to bring this Gone With The Wind of Auto repair to a close. Could any
of you guys suggest were to go from here. I know I have been ver focused on
the vacuum system perhaps I am barking up the wrong tree. Does anyone know a
rliable way to diagnos the relays on the right shock tower and the valve
behind intake, do I pinch off the line or disconnect the wires. Or maybe it
is in the fuel distro circuit any advice would be appreciated if just so
Miss Rebecca thinks I am doing something :)

PS I do have a small exhaust gas tester if that could help to get a answer

Barry Shapiro
86 8v Scirocco
85 Cabriolet
They Run Fine