RE: The work is done but......

Barry Shapiro wrote:

<snip>

>The 86 has the hunting idle at start up from stone cold for a good few
>minutes. It fades as the car warms up.

What about the injector seals. When old they will get hard, and shrink,
thus letting air pass by. As the car heats up, they will expand a bit,
improving the idle. If you havn't checked them, do so. FYI, there is a
neat $6 tool that lets you pop the injectors right out. (autotech) A bit
of fuel on them also helps to get them back on.

>The 84 is a little different, it seems to start up great but as it warms
it
>starts hunting, worse that the 86,
<snip>

>Poking under the hood yesterday I discoverd the wires to the (what I
think is a) air/vacuum valve behind the intake manifold were also cut
and I could not find the other end of the wire.

It sounds like you are talking about the auxillary air regulator (AAR).
This is basically a cold start extra-air-supplier. It is open when cold,
and so takes in air from before the TB. The wires are +12 volt and
ground (gets power when ignition is on, I think) Inside the AAR the
wires heat up a bimetallic strip that will close the valve off.

So if the wires are cut, then the valve will stay open always. I'm not
sure how this would cause loopy idle, but it would be noticable when
hot, as this is the part of the system that is not working. Maybe
someone along the way did something to adjust for the always open AAR
and there is the source of your problems?? Don't know how, just a
thought.

HTH

Jonas
85 Scirocco