Re: and now for the problem (long)

Daun Yeagley III wrote:

> Storytime everybody!  <slightly edited, tb>
>
> Last weekend I took a nice little trip from Cincinnati to Dallas in my
> '88 'rocco.  Pulled into the parking lot, car idled fine.  Rev it, and
> it would miss to about 3k rpm, then be fine. so off we went.  The thing
> bucked a bit while getting on the
> freeway, and when it would do so the tach would jump around.   Next
> morning, the car was VERY difficult to start. It started missing again
> a short while later,
> but only above about 3k rpm.  Finally about 2 miles from home, the
> car really got bad.  Wouldn't run smooth at any rpm under load, though
> if it was steady above 3k it seemed to run ok.  Made it to the driveway,
> but it won't so much as start now.
>
> My suspicions are in the ignition system somewhere.
> I'm sorry about the long post, but this is driving me nuts!  I want to
> drive the car this weekend!  Suggestions?????
>
> Daun

My 81 has a Hall sensor ignition, I'm not sure if the '79 ( non-
California ) has it as well, but-

I drove to work one morning, idle getting worse all along the way, soon
would cut off if I let it get below 2-3K. Once I rolled into the parking
lot it failed to restart.

Turned out to be the Hall Sensor wiring in the Dist. Replaced the dist
with a used one, ( after trying to replace just about everything else
:). Could have just replaced the Hall sensor though.

Is it possible the dist was a bit loose? Might have moved and changed
the timing. Plug wires may be crappy, considering one plug different
than the others but it seems that it should start on 3 out of 4
cylinders working.

Look at it this way, It got you home, right? Good Scirocco, good
Scirocco.   :P

GL,
TBerk