and now for the problem (long)

Storytime everybody!

Last weekend I took a nice little trip from Cincinnati to Dallas in my
'88 'rocco.  (3 people, tools and overnight bags...   kinda crammed)
Met Aaron Patton and his wife (Very cool people!) and bought Aaron's '79
Scirocco.  (Not exactly pretty, but FAST)

So we start for home.  The '79 is running perfectly.  BUT, when we got
to Memphis, while going around a freeway interchange, the car missed a
couple times while accelerating. (not hard)  At first I wasn't sure it
had actually done it as it was so slight.  About a 1/2 hour out of
Memphis, we stopped for food.  I went to pull out from the light at the
bottom of the off ramp and the car 'bout died when I hit the
accelerator.  Pulled into the parking lot, car idled fine.  Rev it, and
it would miss to about 3k rpm, then be fine.

After dinner, we looked over the car, couldn't find anything obviosly
wrong...   so off we went.  The thing bucked a bit while getting on the
freeway, and when it would do so the tach would jump around.  We decided
not to push on through Tennessee at night and grabbed a motel.  Next
morning, the car was VERY difficult to start.  Aaron had sent along the
old cap and wires, so for grins we installed the old cap and the wire
running from the coil to the distributor.  Turned the key and she ran
perfect.  So off we went.  It started missing again a short while later,
but only above about 3k rpm.  We pressed on and made it to Cincinnati
(Nashville and Louisville were kinda fun since the car would hesitate
pretty bad below 3k at this point)  Finally about 2 miles from home, the
car really got bad.  Wouldn't run smooth at any rpm under load, though
if it was steady above 3k it seemed to run ok.  Made it to the driveway,
but it won't so much as start now.

My suspicions are in the ignition system somewhere.  It's getting plenty
of fuel, and it appears to be sparking, but it will barely fire, and
won't run.  Pulled the plugs, 1 and 2 were great, 3 was black
(indicating the misfire) and 4 was ok, though tending towards lean.
(white)

I'm sorry about the long post, but this is driving me nuts!  I want to
drive the car this weekend!  Suggestions?????

Daun