List etiquette (was Re: Tired of crap on the list...)

On 26 Mar, Brett Van Sprewenburg wrote:

> Gotta agree with Kevin here.  I like the idea of this being a community
> of people, with common interests.  Within reason, I like seeing the
> occasional non-100% on topic post from people.

I think non Scirocco posts are not a bad thing as long as they may
have interest to more then a couple of people. If you have a "smart
remark" that only a couple of people will understand or appreciate,
why not just mail it to those people. Please consider what value
your comments have to the list in general.

It seems as though most people don't mind general VW questions.
After all, the cars are all very similar in design and many issues
we deal with can be cross platform. Since Scirocco owners seem to
generally be "car" people, I don't think occasional discussions of
other makes are a problem. I can see where VW owners might be
interested in moving to or adding more luxury oriented cars (Audi,
BMW, etc.) or more performance oriented cars (Porsche, BMW, etc.)
and would like some information on them. What do you think?

As far as the bogus security/privacy warnings that pop up. Please
try to get some verification before spreading this garbage. If you
can't find verification on the Web, try to find an individual or two
that you trust and ask them about it. The odds of finding something
truly newsworthy, that everyone hasn't already seen, is very slim.

As long as we are discussing this stuff, I wish to point out another
thing that many people on this list don't seem to understand.
Scirocoo-l is a mailing list. Every piece of mail sent to the list
is sent to every member of the list. When you reply to a previous
post, everyone has already seen the previous post. There is
absolutely no reason to quote the entire thing. Especially if you
intend to say nothing more than "me to" or "I agree"! If you are
replying to a point that someone has made, please just quote the
couple of sentences where that point was made. It makes your reply
much more clear and more likely to be read and appreciated.

Also, I know my grammar and spelling are not the best in the world,
but I do try to make my writing clear for my audience. I find it
hard to rely on information presented by someone that doesn't take
the time to proof-read and run a spell check against their writing.
I have to wonder how much care they put into the information they
are providing.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Later,
	Jon