Re: and now for the problem (long)

From: "Daun Yeagley III" <vwpilot@hotmail.com>
Subject: and now for the problem (long)

  Aaron had sent along the
old cap and wires, so for grins we installed the old cap and the wire
running from the coil to the distributor.  Turned the key and she ran
perfect.  So off we went.  It started missing again a short while later,
but only above about 3k rpm.

My suspicions are in the ignition system somewhere.  It's getting plenty
of fuel, and it appears to be sparking, but it will barely fire, and
won't run.  Pulled the plugs, 1 and 2 were great, 3 was black
(indicating the misfire) and 4 was ok, though tending towards lean.
(white)

Suggestions?????

Daun, You said that you replaced the cap and coil wire. Did you replace the spark plug wires also? If some plugs seem to look fine while another is black, it could mean that one of the plug wires is bad. How old are the current ones? Also might be the coil, but I'm not sure how to check that.

Just some thoughts

HTH

mark hausler
'81 scirocco s