Re: lights, cruise control and possibly heater problems

Craig Moore wrote:
<snip>
> After replacing the bulbs the reverse lights still did
> not work, I then checked the fuse, bought a new one and checked the old
> on in other slots, all is fine with the fuse.  That is as far as my
> thinking takes me, where do I look for go next?  Any suggestions?
<snip>
> Five minutes after turning the heat on my wife
> begins to cough uncontrollably.  She is allergic to MANY things and it
> seemed to her she had an allergic reaction.  I brought her home, she got
> out of the car and was soon fine.  She claims the car is Christine II
> and tried to kill her.  I was fine through the whole thing, but she is
> very sensitive due to her allergies.  Could the problem be with the
> heater since it might not have ever been used since 1987?
>
> Craig Moore
> 87 Scirocco 8v

I think it's less allergies as much as it's all the nasty dust up in
there. Very common, even among us less sensitive folk.  Then again you
may be onto something, humid and warm be Florida, so you may have
imported some microscopic critters back home. I say Nuke em! You can
blow out a great deal of it, starting at the rain gutter end, up under
the hood. It may be enveloped by a piece of foam rubber, this should be
rinsed out. Compressed air forced down through the intake, with the fan
on HIGH and the vents wide open is a good way to start. Then come again
from the other end, this time with the fan off, and reverse the flow.
Spray some anti fungal up in the vents and down the intake, ( blow the
excess dust out 1st though), and drive around for awhile with the heat
on and the fan on a mid setting until the 'smoke clears'. har har.

As for the reverse lights you should break out a VOM, volt ohm meter and
see how far you are getting voltage.  The thing that activates the
reverse lights is a switch built into the tranny. Some years look
different than my '81 so I'm not sure exactly what the connector looks
like. BAsically it's two or three (?) wires plugged into the tranny near
the speedo cable and may not be connected anymore.

hth,
TBerk