lights, cruise control and possibly heater problems

I tried to post this last night but for some reason it did not go
through, if it shows up suddenly sorry for the repetition.  So lets try
it again.

I (a mechanical moron) need some advise.  I bought my car in Fla. and
was going through West Virginia state inspection yesterday, I failed due
to the tires and reverse lights not passing.  I bought 4 new tires and
two new bulbs.  After replacing the bulbs the reverse lights still did
not work, I then checked the fuse, bought a new one and checked the old
on in other slots, all is fine with the fuse.  That is as far as my
thinking takes me, where do I look for go next?  Any suggestions?

Next, my cruise control does not work, once again don't know where to
even begin to look.

Finally, a strange occurance.  Friday night I took my wife for her first
ride in the Scirocco.  It was a bit chilly and I turned on the heater.
Now remember I bought the car in south Fla and I doubt the heater was
rarely, if ever used.  Five minutes after turning the heat on my wife
begins to cough uncontrollably.  She is allergic to MANY things and it
seemed to her she had an allergic reaction.  I brought her home, she got
out of the car and was soon fine.  She claims the car is Christine II
and tried to kill her.  I was fine through the whole thing, but she is
very sensitive due to her allergies.  Could the problem be with the
heater since it might not have ever been used since 1987?

===
Craig Moore
87 Scirocco 8v
96 Tacoma 4x4