Before I drive it off the cliff....

I took my MK1 up to get a windshield installed in it yesterday.  It
drove fine all the way there with only the usual miss.  Anyways, after
giving the guy $200 for installing the windshield, I hopped in my car to
start it and no go.  After a little wait, I tried to start it and it
caught for a second, then died.  Finally I figured out that it would
stay started as long as I held the key in the starter position.
Couldn't drive it like that so I had it towed.  Once I got it home I
tried a couple more things.  I pulled the harness from the ignition
switch and hotwired the ignition on position to the red wire, and then
hotwired the starter circuit to the red wire.  No avail, same thing
happened.  One thing I noticed was when the key is in the on position, I
don't here the fuel pump running.  When I jumper the fuel pump to the
battery though, it runs fine.  The fuel pump is connected to the
ignition coil, right?  After consulting the bentley schematic, what I
suspect is the ballast resistor.  Does this sound right?  Where is the
ballast resistor anyways???  What else could it be?
--
Geordy Rostad
'79 Scirocco Ragtop(not currently installed) 2.0(sorta running)