Re: My Car-opinions needed

Rich Deede wrote:

> Ok everyone i would like to get all of your opinions before i hear from
> the insurance adjustor.
<snip>
> I do know that I want to be driving a Rocco soon.
>
> Rich Deede

I smacked a Honda Accord up onto the sidewalk one midnight, ( I was on
my way to the store for chocolate cake-  the then wife had me trained
during her pregnancy ), and it whacked my little Fox sedan in the front
right corner.

The Honda was toast but the Fox drove home, after I pulled the fender
off the front tire. The insurance company told me to take it were ever I
wanted but the bill came up to $7K and the car was appraised at only 8K.
( It wasn't hurt $7000 worth, I just went to the best place I could
find.)

They totaled my car and cut me a check for the balance of my car loan. I
bought it back for $500 and sold it two weeks later for $2000 to a guy
who said he'd fix it and give it to one of his kids.

The car had only 10K on the odo. and I had a tired '77 Scirocco- I might
have kept it and put the 1.8 liter in my Mk1, but I didn't know then
what I know now.  :)

My advice is to stick to your guns about the replacement cost. Get as
much as you can and leave the fact that you are thinking of retaining it
close to your vest. In the mean time, visit the car and retrieve as much
as possible now, under the guise of "Removing personal property..." It
will likely not run again, at least in it's current condition so do not
fret about removing a valuable item that's needed for normal operation.

Post settlement you then specify that you will be retrieving the car and
cut them a check for the difference. it will most likely be transferred
to a 'salvage title', of this I'm not sure though. Strip it and apply it
towards another example.

I'm sorry for the experiences you are going through, I side with the
folks who say get another car. It seems the oil may turn out bad indeed,
the car seems to have been bashed a bit and the frame may be tweaked.

On that happy note I'll point out that the list is pulling for you and
in large and small ways we are here for you.

GL,
TBerk