Re: Wheel noise

On Sun, 7 Mar 1999 17:19:29 -0500 (EST) Rich Deede <rdeed@UDel.Edu>
writes:
>ok I just checked those triangular gussets that you were talking about
>Shawn and indeed the one on the passenger side had a slight bend in it.
>It was kind of an arc shape right in the center of the gusset, with the
>arc pushing up like this    ---/\---.  I didn't notice any other
problems
>though. But since this gusset is slightly bent does that mean the whole
>beam is now trash?

Its now junk.

>What now?

Time to replace it.

>Should I change the beam and what else should I look for now?

Right, change the beam and swap everything to the new beam. Id look to
check that the stub axle is straight (you can compare them to each other
once its all apart.) and check to be sure that the drum isn't cracked and
also that the brake line didn't get pinched. it sounds like it didn't
bend that badly so you can probably be safe knowing the line is damage
free.

>I still don't feel any difference in the tiny bit that
>I've drove it since. What gives?

Have somebody else drive the car and you follow behind it in another car.
You will see that it "crabs" down the street. The car will point like its
turning right but the car goes straight instead. There's nothing really
bad about this if your gonna drive it other than the tires will wear
extremely fast. the overall handling will suck so don't do any kind of
spirited driving what-so-ever.
GL!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and