Re: Electrical Gremlins

    Hey Steve,
    It may be that you have a case of the infamous leaking VW
winshield seal disease.  I've seen this happen on almost every
single MK-1 I have ever come in contact with.  After time the
winshield seal begins to shrink and deteriorate.  This in turn lets
rain seep through at the bottom of the wishield and eventually drip
down and attack the fuse box.  The main connectors on the back
of the fusebox tend to get corroded from the moisture, and
sometimes give you intermitent funky electrical problems.  I had
almost the same symtoms on my 81.  To check:  unscrew the one
screw that holds the fusebox up in it's little home; pull fuse box up
and out gently; pull out and inspect each large connector into the
back of the fusebox; use a little non-conductive cleaner spray on
the connectors if they are corroded and maybe a toothbrush to
clean em good.  This may only be a temporary fix, but make sure
to replace the winshield seal if that's your problem.

 oakaly dokealy  =)
- Nz
  keep on Scirockin'

> Subject: Electrical Gremlins
>
> Hey guys,
>      I've developed a problem with my 81 Rocco.  First off, the wipers no
> longer work.  I hit them straight with 12V and they appear to be working
> fine.  I don't think the switch is screwed up, but it could be a
> possibility... also, at the same time, the signals and brake lights went
> kinda funny on me they only work occasionally (the car is garaged for the
> winter but I start it occassionally to run it... mostly cause I can't
> stand being away from it).  I've been told that my X-relay is gone... I've
> never heard of both the signals and the wipers being relayed at the same
> place... doesn't make sense to me.  The guy was a VW mechanic, which makes
> me think he knows what he's talking about. What do you guys think?  What
> to do to fix? BTW, several people have been talking about running city
> lights, what exactly are these?  I'm sorry, but I'm stupid...  LATER!
        Steve

noah@newdimensions.com
http://www.newdimensions.com