RE: Intake manifold removal

> Hey all,
>
> I plan to remove my intake manifold (1.8 16v) at some point in
> the near future to clean it and my (very dirty) valve cover.  While
> it's out I plan to replace my injector O-rings, which should be
> much easier without those manifold runners in the way.

actually, it won't make a difference.  the injectors are in the bottom half
of the intake manifold.  it is those runners (the one on the bottom half)
that make it nearly impossible to get a good grip on them.  the injectors
are crammed between the small space between the runners.

> So before I did this, I thought I'd ask 1) any special advice on
> removing the manifold (it seems straightforward enough),

removing is easy.  when putting back on, it is *crucial* that you tighten
the nuts that secure the top and bottom half (where the gasket is) FIRST.
THEN tighten the rear where the supports are.  otherwise you may cause a
vacuum leak at that point.

> 2) any other maintenance I should do which would be a lot
> easier with it removed?

i'd replace the valve cover gasket if it hasn't been replaced in about 3
years.  those tend to harden and turn into petrified rubber with time , and
it's a common oil leak problem with 16V's.

chris
86 16V scirocco