Re: [tech] another Fuba install question

Dave Novak wrote:

> Hey all.. A while ago, I grabbed a Fuba off an older Audi 5k wagon from
> the junkyard, and stuck it in the roof of my '81 Rocco.
>
> It's not hooked up yet, cause I'm not exactly sure how to. Now, there's
> the one coax lead, which is the signal (nothing new), but there's also a
> white 20awg (thin) wire coming down with it. What gives?
>
> I couldn't figure it out when I was ripping it out of the Audi, cause
> there was no radio in it at the time. I'm guessing it's some kind of
> signal ground?
>
> Help!
>
> PS- I'm so addicted to this damn list.
>
> -Dave
> (2) '81 Sciroccos (one is FS!)

There are two models of Fuba antennas. One is the rear roof mounted and
the other is a little known fender replacement unit. Lets forget about
the fender one for now because when I started the 1st sentence I meant
there are two Fubas; one amp'ed and one that is not amplified.

The standard, I believe, is to provide 12v via the coax cable. An
adapter jig can be ordered from Crutchfield to supply this power for the
amp in the ant.

Cruise this FAQ on Jan's site:   (Everybody ought to send Jan a dollar,
and not because he's expecting it.)

http://www-pal.usc.edu/~jan/vw/Electrical/antenna

I too think the extra wire is an amp switch lead. Just guessing though.

hth,
TBerk

PS- Don't neglect the importance of a great grounding for the antenna,
and inc. rust proofing of the soon to be exposed edges.