Re: thinner head gaskets/ 16v cams

> > potter runs a mkI with 11.5:1 in Southern CA with no probs...
>
> Jeez! Not that is pretty radical! Damn... Has he described his build
> method? -how about the results? What kind of driving and everyday
> characteristics does it have? I've outlined my goals already, but here
> they are again: -about 170hp, lots of mid-range torque, ability to run
> 93 octane gas (with 94 as an aid), great throttle response, and *total
> reliability*. I've got all the on-paper technique down but making it
> all work is quite another thing.

	i'm running a 2.0 16V motor with a P&P and shaved head.  my compression
is probably 11:1 or just a smidgen higher, i believe, since the 2.0
motor starts out with 10.8:1 compression.

> Dude, I'm totally in the dark here. Here are my perceptions:
>
> Schrick 260s: way expensive/ well-known results/not enough gain
> anyware in powerband to warrant expense
> Scrick 268s: way expensive/ well-known results/ tons of top end -
> nasty drop in lowend torque (YUCK)
> "stock" European intake: good value/ well-known results/ mild but
> noticeable midrange increase -probably the best for a stock 1.8l but
> not enough for a worked 2.0l
> Kent "Fastroad": way expensive/ little-known results/ big increase in
> midrange/ fair top end -probably exactly what I  want but does it work
> in the first place? We can't trust ec magazine can we? The May '98 had
> a cam comparison article in it, I think...
> Autotech 16v set: Eh?... AUTOTECH? :^( They say it is the biggest-best
> answer to everything, of course...  Here's what they say about their
> product:

	i know very little about cams.  but what i do know is that schricks are
the only ones i would waste my money on (if i had any money to begin
with ;) )  myself, i'd love to go all out and throw in some schrick
300šs cuz they sound like they'd be  retardedly large amounts of fun to
drive.  but since i'm using hydraulic lifters, the nuttiest i can go is
a set of 276šs.  as you said, low-end torque (<4000rpm) is sacrificed,
but as soon as you hit 4000, the motor gets pretty crazy.  and if you
want to retain the low-end, would a cam sprocket not be a god
investment?  advancing and retarding timing to your spec?  ask brett van
sprew, he'll be able to give you some more insight into cam timing with
a 2.0 16V.

> This sounds like the answers to all of my needs. Again, though. Can we
> trust  friggin' AUTOTECH? Any thoughts?

	i wouldn't.  you'll be investing too much money in that motor to risk
it on an unknown quantity.  if you want cams, go with schricks.  as you
said, they are well-known, and the damn things'll last forever.  my
$0.02

jason
the mad bastard