Re: Car'bing a scirocco

On Mon, 21 Jun 1999 23:08:47 -0500 "Neal Tovsen"
<ntovsen@piper.hamline.edu> writes:
>As I said "Guy says..."
>
>I don't know if anyone has actually verified it, but he is known in the
club
>and has a good rep. Considering the AutoX trophies he had, there must
>be *something* to that setup.

Carbs can be very fast. We have a guy who drives a EP Scirocco with a
1.6L and dual carbs. (If he can just keep a motor together long enough to
complete 3 runs that would be cool. He's Cpt. kabammo.)
He's constantly adjusting the carbs, constantly bitching about them. When
they are setup right, its a fast combo. Not worth it in my book. He's
dyno'd the thing with 200hp and very little torque.

>I'm not sure I entirely agree with the theory behind the FIB being
better
>than carbs, tho. I think that it applies for most (street) applications,
but
>a LOT of racing engines are still carburated. Aren't top-fuel dragsters
>carburated? I also do know that there's a lot more to that engine than
the
>carbs, though I don't know the specifics.

Most of the TF guys are using an injection system of one kind or another.
Remember a few years ago when John Force kept blowing motors and burning
the cars to the ground? They were using a FIB system that was sort of
like ours in that it constantly dumped fuel into the intake port to
"cheat" the delivery rate. Well, one little backfire and it blows the
blower off the block. Hence their use of the blow out plates. Later on
they figured out how to get the fuel rates up and fit everything into the
cylinder without the blower's getting popped off the block.

Most of the lower classed drag racers still use carbs. Some use them
because the rules dictate such. (all of NASCAR and the drag racing
SPORTSMAN class must use carbs.)
The champ cars (and IRL) and F1 all use FIB. I think the last F1 team to
use carbs was the Renault team in the mid 70's.

FIB is better than carbs for many reasons. The main reason is that it has
the ability to alter the fuel ratio based on the current conditions of
the exhaust gasses. So in a way its self adjusting.

FIB can be designed to be extremely fuel efficient. Digifant for example.
It sucks for those who wish to get performance from their car with the
Digifant system because Digifant is designed to be extremely economical
and efficient, not to be a performer.

>My mechanic got a ride in the GTI that it's
>currently in and says 200hp is a believable number (admittedly
>un-scientific).

200hp is definitely an achievable number.

>Again, these are simply hear-say on my part. The guy with the carbs
might be
>completely full of crap for all I know but I'm inclined to believe the
GTI
>story.

He might be, might not be. Id tend to believe him for what it is. Ive got
big dreams of building a -10 second 4 banger some day. It will be a FIB
system using turbo beast. if the Honda guys are doing it, there's NO
reason why a MK-I with a 2.2L 16V CANT do it too. :)

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and