RE: Car'bing a scirocco

As I said "Guy says..."

I don't know if anyone has actually verified it, but he is known in the club
and has a good rep. Considering the AutoX trophies he had, there must be
*something* to that setup.

I'm not sure I entirely agree with the theory behind the FI being better
than carbs, tho. I think that it applies for most (street) applications, but
a LOT of racing engines are still carburated. Aren't top-fuel dragsters
carburated? I also do know that there's a lot more to that engine than the
carbs, though I don't know the specifics.

I actually finally got a hold of his email address, but left it at work :-(.

As far as max. normally-aspirated 16v HP numbers, there's a guy in the club
here who is selling a dyno-tested 200+HP 16v engine/tranny combo. Supposedly
he works for a VW racing outfit. My mechanic got a ride in the GTI that it's
currently in and says 200hp is a believable number (admittedly
un-scientific). Claims the reason he's selling it is that he has a 250hp 16v
ready to drop-in. $4800 installed, BTW. Last I checked it was still on
www.volksport.com

Again, these are simply hear-say on my part. The guy with the carbs might be
completely full of crap for all I know but I'm inclined to believe the GTI
story.

Neal