Re: Cat

===no comments on the cat - take it off and see.
Anyhow, I assume this means the cat. is shot. However, the bolts holding it on are completly rusted/fused to the cat's mounting plates.  I soaked em for a full day in liquid wrench, but that didn't do anything at all.

Am I correct in assuming that I need to have it welded off?
====Just cut the bolts off (or have someone do it for you).

Also, while I'm dealing with the exhaust, would I get a noticable
performance boost if I replaced the entire exhaust from header's back?  I was thinking of upgrading to a TT High Flow cat, and 2.25" pipes...

==With a basically stock motor - 2.25 would be overkill. Might even be detrimental (not enough "back pressure")- go with 2.0.

If your gonna mess with the exhaust - get a dual oulet manaifold - the single outlet manifolds suck. (tech evaluation)

I was thinking of all TT stuff, but I dont want to make this huge investment without being sure it's worth it.

==TT's stuff works. There are others though . . .

Just for info, I have an 84 8V.  Pickup is sluggish and I cant get over 4.5k in 5th.

===Your engine should rev freely to over 6K - this is not normal at all. Perhaps your cat is indeed clogged.

Recently a complete tune-up (new OEM wires, bosch silver
plugs, new distrib cap and rotor, all new belts and timing, alignment,
warm-up regulator, O2 sensor, Boge TurboGas Struts (front & back).. etc).. full throttle switch is acting very wierd though and I think my inner driver-side CV joint is shot.

==I hope you did not pay someone to do this - they missed some very important details - no self respecting mechanic would let a vw out the door that did not freely rev to 6K.

And I THANK you if you read all of this message.. I didn't realize it'de be so large.

====Good luck!

Mark Peele
1981 Scirocco S
1982 Scirocco
1987 Golf GT
Then there's Kristen's '78 Scirocco
http://home.t-online.de/home/Scirocco2/mark.htm
Previous Sciroccos: 1975 (2), 1981 S (1), 1980 S (1)