Re: 16v questions

>Hey guys, I'm new to the list but i need some help-- just a couple easy
>questions.

Uh, welcome!  We'll send the dancing girls over to your house right
away...uhhhh, just as soon as we find dancing girls to welcome new
members...

>1.  I was pulling my airbox today and noticed that there is a large
>threaded hole
>in the top of the tranny( ~1") right above the clutch. But there is
>nothing in the hole.  Is this ok or does it need to have a plug in it?

It should have a 2 piece dust cover.  This is the timing hole, where
the timing light flashes on the flyweel to adjust spark timing.  Go
get one from the dealer (the cover), it's about $10 for both pieces.

>2.  What is the best way to tell if your motor/trans mounts are bad or
>almost bad.  Mine seems to make clunking sounds when downshifting or
>sometimes upshifting or going over bumps.

Does your dash rattle a lot at idle?  That clunking noise might be
a wheel bearing or a CV joint failing.  On an A1, an engine moving
so far it's clunking is a pretty bad thing, it's probably not that...
unless it's the exhaust downpipe smacking the swaybar...but I'd
bet the 16v downpipe flex joint would crack first before that would
happen.  Just thinking outloud so to say...type...whatever.  Anyway,
get a Bentley manual for your car.  Great investment if you plan on
working on the vehicle yourself.  Do you know how to check the
CV's or bearings?

>3.  Has anyone designed a way to mount two guages in the space where the
>ashtray goes right next to the oil temp guage?  I would like to know how
>you did it.

Several companies make and sell a triple guage panel for that area. It
also replaces the one to the right of the ashtray.  Check out our
favorite list VW parts suppliers, Mark@Adirondak Auto Brokers, or
Mike@Virtual World Parts.  Web sites for both can be found on
http://www.scirocco.org.

>4.  Also how hard is it to change the ilumination light on the right side
>of the dash (tach)?

Depends.  You'll have to remove the cluster.  Get three new bulbs from
the dealer first, and replace them all.  You don't want to have to
do this job too often.  For instructions on how to remove your gauge
cluster, see my site at http://www.freeyellow.com/members2/da-studios.

good luck!

==Brett