Re: storage tips needed

From: Jean-Claude Desinor <desinor@ibm.net>
>To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
>Subject: Re: storage tips needed
>Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 20:58:34 EST
>
>** Reply to note from Jorel Jackson <kondor77@hotmail.com> Thu, 10 Jun 1999
>08:59:20 PDT
>
>   After romping in the sun in summer. my 84 8V (250k+ Km) spends the
>winter
>with a bunch of Corvettes. The owners of that place found that the
>suspension took a beating because it is extended when the car is on blocks,
>so the owners of the place concluded it is best to leave the car on the
>ground and move it from time to time to avoid flat spots on the tires.
>
>    I guess one could get around that if you remove the wheels and place
>blocks under the brakes (ouch). Or have solid thin wheels like they do for
>Formula One cars, but they move the cars, so this is one less thing for me
>to worry about.
>
>   Oh, and the first year, I stored the car in a rented parking space in a
>home. The gas tank was not full - and it rusted. The second year, I stored
>it with a full tank at the Corvette place, but they do not like the idea of
>having that much fuel in storage, suggested instead to leave as little and
>put some gas line antifreeze in the tank.
>
>   And last but not least, before storage, I have the car sprayed with some
>rustproofing goo, paraffin based (because that is what the spraying place
>offers, I did not check if there is something better). I hope to halt the
>spread of any rust that way ...

I stored the '84 off blocks. I replaced the tires after I fired it up again.
The car ran fine after three years, but the rust had advanced much further
than I liked. It didn't help that some women, into antiques, used the car as
a backstop for her own projects. I don't know what goes through the minds of
people like this. Hanging might be in order. I think the corvette owners are
right about the suspension being bent out of shape, so I think I will leave
it on the wheels. They will be replaced along with the struts. Thanks!

Jorel Jackson