Re: Who has the Golf 3 engine in their MK1?

VWN8@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 6/7/99 10:24:34 AM, scirocco@psycode.com writes:
>
> <<http://scirocco.psycode.com/>>
>
> I'm picking up the 98 motor on the 15th but Im not sure what injection system
> I will use. I might even use an 85+ GTi head. The optons are these: Motronic
> (hopefully OBD1) the only thing Im concerned with is the speed sensor. Option
> 2 is the system off a 92 16v GLi. Im told that this is very early motronic
> and accepts Motronic chips. However it does have a fuel dist. which confuses
> me because you shouldn't need one with an electronic injection system. Tell
> me what your thoughts are on this.
>
> Nate

Is the engine coming with the head? if so use it! .. BUT if you do you will have
to use the OBD1 or OBD2 Motronic system that came on A3s (non CIS) or an
after-market system. The Motronic uses a mass airflow sensor and electronic pulse
injectors, and since it's an OBD system you can monitor the ECU's inputs/outputs
while you drive with a laptop.

The intake ports on the cross-flow head flow at 151cfm compared to 120cfm on a
stock hydraulic head, the exhaust port flow 92cfm compared to 85cfm on the old
head.

the head is also better suited for turbocharging, since there is more room for
cooling water around the exhaust ports (and the intake ports aren't in the way)

If you use the 85 gti head, then CIS-E would be the easiest choice. I have no
idea if the CIS-Motronic for the 16vs would work on an 8v ... anyone know?!? (the
reason it uses a fuel distributor is because it is a CIS system, the computer
does regulate the fuel flow with some kind of electronic vacuum or something that
controls the fuel distributor).. and yes CIS-Motronic found on 16vs is chipable.

cams for both engines are the same, and can be had relatively cheap (i bought a
used Neuspeed 268 for 100$ cdn).

since the block is 16.5 mm taller you will need a longer downpipe (TechTonics
sells them). You'll also need an A1 dual manifold (A2, A3 or 16v ones don't fit).

the speed sensor is the least of your problems :-) , all you have to do is use a
speed sensor from a car with cruise control or an MFA and plug it on the back of
your speedo ... it's really no big deal.

-Nigel Heron.
86 Scirocco
85 Scirocco
http://scirocco.psycode.com/