Re: Who has the Golf 3 engine in their MK1?

VWN8@aol.com wrote:

> <<.. BUT if you do you will have
> to use the OBD1 or OBD2 Motronic system that came on A3s
>
> Why do i have to use Motronic with that head?

it's easier .. after all it was made to work with this engine from the factory!
The intake was made to fit electronic pulse injectors fitted on a fuel rail.

> I think I may attempt to use this system with the crossflow head. It might be
> a chore installing the injectors into the late head but i dont see why this
> wouldn't work. Do you see any faults with the plan?

i think putting CIS injectors on the cross flow's intake would require *tons* of
work, you would have to weld on pieces of metal to make the injector inserts fit
properly, even then i don't know if they would fit because the intake's upper
portion is solid (unlike a 16v that has runners with gaps between them) and
wouldn't allow much room for the injectors or the metal fuel lines. There's also
nowhere to put a 5th injector.

the CIS-E Motronic's throttle body wouldn't fit (along with it's 2 switches)
the distributor is made for a 16v, i don't know if an 8v one would work

you would also need the 2 knock sensors, the sensor that fits on the 4th spark
plug wire, the coil with the power stage and you'd need a completely re-map chip,
'cause the 16v and the 8v are too different.

i really can't see an advantage of doing this.

The newer OBD Motronic system uses a mass air flow sensor instead of a air flow
plate, which is better for intake air flow. The injectors are electric and are
better controlled by the ECU (there's no more fuel distributor, differential
pressure regulator, diaphragm pressure regulator, idle mixture screws, no 5th
injector, etc. ).

the newer system also has a crank shaft speed sensor that calculates crank
acceleration after each explosion, a throttle position (not just idle/full
throttle) sensor, intake air temp sensor

... anyways, my feelings are that if you are to use the cross-flow head, go with
the OBDI Motronic (pre-1996, since the throttle body isn't as high and hopefully
won't touch the hood) or an after market system that uses a fuel rail ...
if you use the 80's gti hydraulic head go with CIS-E.

-Nigel Heron.
86 Scirocco
85 Scirocco
http://scirocco.psycode.com/