Re: Who has the Golf 3 engine in their MK1?

In a message dated 6/9/99 10:20:04 PM, scirocco@psycode.com writes:

<<i think putting CIS injectors on the cross flow's intake would require
*tons* of
work, you would have to weld on pieces of metal to make the injector inserts
fit
properly, even then i don't know if they would fit because the intake's upper
portion is solid (unlike a 16v that has runners with gaps between them) and
wouldn't allow much room for the injectors or the metal fuel lines. There's
also
nowhere to put a 5th injector.

the CIS-E Motronic's throttle body wouldn't fit (along with it's 2 switches)
the distributor is made for a 16v, i don't know if an 8v one would work

you would also need the 2 knock sensors, the sensor that fits on the 4th spark
plug wire, the coil with the power stage and you'd need a completely re-map
chip,
'cause the 16v and the 8v are too different.

i really can't see an advantage of doing this.

The newer OBD Motronic system uses a mass air flow sensor instead of a air
flow
plate, which is better for intake air flow. The injectors are electric and are
better controlled by the ECU (there's no more fuel distributor, differential
pressure regulator, diaphragm pressure regulator, idle mixture screws, no 5th
injector, etc. ).

the newer system also has a crank shaft speed sensor that calculates crank
acceleration after each explosion, a throttle position (not just idle/full
throttle) sensor, intake air temp sensor

. anyways, my feelings are that if you are to use the cross-flow head, go with
the OBDI Motronic (pre-1996, since the throttle body isn't as high and
hopefully
won't touch the hood) or an after market system that uses a fuel rail ...
if you use the 80's gti hydraulic head go with CIS-E.>>

Point well taken! Im reall lucky that I have someone to ask before I go
crashing into this =-) I guess I wanted to fight using OBD1 or OBD2 Motronic
because there is so many sensors and wires that go with it. My engine bay is
pretty clean now but putting motronic in would be the endof that. I realize
that the power gains to be had probably outweigh the minuses but I was also
thinking that if I had a fuel dist. I could fool some dumb smog guy into
beliving I had a stock motor with a late model head. If I do the full swap
Ill need to go to the referee station where they aparently bend you over and
do an exaustive serch to see that everyhting is working. . . Im scared. Guess
ill just have to deal with it.

Nate