Re: Who has the Golf 3 engine in their MK1?

VWN8@aol.com wrote:

> Point well taken! Im reall lucky that I have someone to ask before I go
> crashing into this =-) I guess I wanted to fight using OBD1 or OBD2 Motronic
> because there is so many sensors and wires that go with it. My engine bay is
> pretty clean now but putting motronic in would be the endof that. I realize
> that the power gains to be had probably outweigh the minuses but I was also
> thinking that if I had a fuel dist. I could fool some dumb smog guy into
> beliving I had a stock motor with a late model head. If I do the full swap
> Ill need to go to the referee station where they aparently bend you over and
> do an exaustive serch to see that everyhting is working. . . Im scared. Guess
> ill just have to deal with it.
>
> Nate

Actually i find that the motronic system is cleaner in terms of wires, every
single wire on the engine mates up to one big plug. There's also no vacuum lines
all over the place (there's just one for the evap canister, and a small one
connected to the fuel rail) There's no fuel distributor or fuel lines for each
injector... i think it'll look real clean.

It's sucks that you have to get it checked, you'll need to hook up all the
emissions stuff (egr valve, charcoal canister, catalytic converter, CO test port)
and you'll need to hook up the check engine light, which is useful anyways... if
the guy is a real prick you'll even need the little things like the sticker on the
gas cap that says "unleaded fuel only". ... maybe you should just slip the guy a
50$ bill :-)

.. well at least when you're done you'll have the power of a 2.0 with the fuel
efficiency of an old 1.6.

-nigel.
86 Scirocco
85 Scirocco