Re: 16V Probs: Valve Train Question!

Prior to swapping engines, my 16V was making a horrible valve noise.  I needed to get another week out of it so, I put some Gunk Valve and Ring quieter-downer.  After 20 minutes the noise was almost gone.  The next day I put 50wt Oil in, and the noise was gone completely. I could here the motor bog as the 50wt got into the works ;)

A week later, just before I took the old motor out it was still running smooth as silk.  So for $20 i "fixed" it.

My mech-a-nick buddy says to count the noises over a time interval, since the vavle train runs 1/4 as fast as the crank, you can kind gleen where the noise is from.  If you are good with asthmatic you can figure out what is wrong.  If you take the cam belt cover off you can see what is turning where when the noise happens.

HTH,

Dan Brideau
http://www.hobbyetc.com/scirocco