RE: 16V Probs: Valve Train Question!

Hydraulic valve lifters do get worn out, and one time when I was
replacing the waterpump pulley on my GF's 86 GLI, one just decided to go
right then. Kinda strange actually, but the car was jacked up for a day
or so while I hunted down a replacement pulley. The lifter ticked when
the car was started and it wouldn't go away. I guess maybe all of the
oil drained out and the air in the lifter prevented oil from
pressurizing it. That's just a guess, but the problem was fixed by her
father (this was before I learned all about watercooled VW's). He took
it to his work (he designs dyno systems) and dissasembled it & filled it
with oil. I later learned that they are not intended to be dissasembled,
but oh well, the noise went away, and I've since replaced all the
lifters.

Just to show that it's possible to be a worn out lifter. Potterman sells
them for $10 a piece last I checked.

could also be an exhaust leak

Jonas
85 Scirocco