fuel inrichment probs

HI everyone
I have been busy out in vw land and have not had a lot of time to write
to the list
I recently (3months ago) with help from the list made a fuel enrichment
device that is basically a clone of the techtonics one.  It worked
great for 3 months then my car ran like dog shit when i got on it.  I
have been trying to figure it out all week.  checked the dist and fuel
pressure etc.. turned out the relay no longer gave passed the
signal(resistance) through the relay.  it was like driving around with
the coolant sensor unplugged(no wonder it ran like total shit.) any way
my question is what would make the relay go bad?  It got a lot of use
but would that really make it go bad.  has anyone else that has made(or
bought) them had any similar problems

Tony