Re: What do you think (off topic)

---RYan BRantley <shevek@home.com> wrote:

> Hey Everyone!
> I've been looking at Sciroccos in my local Auto trader lately, and have
> discovered that it is extremely difficult to find 1989 sciroccos, which
> is the only one i want to buy to avoid problems with an older car.
> Anyways, I have recently been leaning towards getting a Corrado instead,
> I was just wondering what you all think of the Corrado.
> Thanks, Ryan

There are only minor differences between the 1986.5 and 1989 Scirocco 16v's.
The 89's are really 88's also.  As far as avoiding problems, there's usually
something wrong with a used car, no matter the age.  The newer the better,
usually. If you really want to Scirocco, just find one that was well cared
for.  I can assure you that just about any repair items for the Scirocco
will probably cost less then for a Corrado.  I even bet body panels would
be close.  The Scirocco is really an A1 chassis car underneath, and an
A1 chassis VW Cabriolet was sold in the US until 1992, while the Scirocco
was available in Europe until 1992.  A1 chassis cars are still being
produced in various parts of the world also.  The Corrado was a bit of
a A2/B3 chassis hybrid (the way I understand it).  Don't get me wrong, I
think the Corrado is a really great car, and I'd probably buy one to
compliment my Scirocco.  There are probably roughly equal numbers of
Scirocco 16v's and Corrado VR6's left, well maybe fewer 16v's.  Do you
want to work on the car yourself?  The Scirocco will be simpler to service
in many ways, but has fewer 'toys' then on the Corrado (like motorized
rear wings, heated seats, a VR6, ABS, sub-frame, built-in fog lights, etc...)

What do you want out of a car?

good luck!

==Brett