Transmission woes

Hi,
My 87 16V Scirocco is giving me some shifting problems. This started when it got stuck in 3rd. I did get it out, but since it will grind going into 3rd unless I'm going about 30mph. Downshifting into 3rd is out! So I have several questions.
1)Is this common? I need to know if I get a used tranny.
2)Has anybody had the tranny rebuilt? If so, how much was it?
3)If I put a 91 16V GTI tranny in what if any mods would I need?
4)Does anyone have a tranny they want to move?
John Lagnese
Biddeford, ME
 jlagnese@cybertours.com
P.S. The main problem I have with rap is canned music, very few have actual musicians. I do listen to all music except opera.