Got a 78 MK1!

Thanks to my good man Doug Teulie, who located the car, contacted the owner
and spotted me the cash to buy it, I've got an alpine white 78 Sidewinder!!

It's a pre-S car, but with a black interior and a lot of the S trim like
blackout window trim.  I'm not sure if the seats are original, but they are
actually attractive.  They look like MK2 seats, but the bolsters are cloth
like the S seats and the inserts are a stripy material.  The dash has very
few cracks, which is extremely rare.  The headliner is very clean.  No
sunroof.  Mostly good rubber except for the windshield seal which looks
really screwed up.

The engine is the 1.6 with something like 75 hp.  It feels really strong,
which I think is due to some smog stuff that got added to the 79's.  There's
a four speed (not for long).  The PO did a funky belt routing thing that
doesn't totally work.  He used one belt to drive the water pump and
alternator, so there really isn't enough belt wrap around the pulleys and
they make lots of noise.

The body is straight except for a dent in the driver's door and rear quarter
panel.  I'll replace the door and smooth out the quarter panel.  Even though
this is a California car, there's surface rust coming through the paint.
The rust doesn't look very deep yet, so I'll be sanding and priming it soon.
   It will get some spray can paint for now while I save up for a real paint
job.  I'll sand it again when I'm ready for nice paint.

Oh, and it cost $400!!

The immediate list of things to be done is:

16v lower stress bar
16v front and rear sway bars
Boge turbogas
???? springs
Replace alternator bushings
Correctly route accessory drive belts
Get odometer working
Knock down rust and prime

Wooohooo!!!!

Ian Overholt
'88 16v  (alpine white, not rusty)
'78 "S"idewinder  (alpine white, rusty)

P.S.  When I drove the car to my parents' house, they didn't even notice
that it wasn't my 16v!!!