Re: Few questions concerning my upcoming motor swap

At 11:07 AM 7/8/99 -0400, you wrote:
>People,
>	I have a few questions about my motor swap thats coming up.
>	1. What oil should I use to break it in? and what weight?

I use the cheapest 30w oil I can. Some people say non-detergent is better,
but i dont think it matters. I change the filter every time i change the
oil when i break it in though just to be sure. you know how much to change
to oil and what to do when you break it in right?

>	2. After getting the head on the motor and such is there
>anything special to do?

Other than make sure the head gasket is aligned correctly, and clocking the
cam and intermediate shaft, nothing real special. Just be real careful if
it is--or MIGHT be and interference engine(valves hit pistons w/ timingbelt
breaks)-- when you turn the motor and cam over you dont smack the valves.

>	3. Im mating a 2.0l block up to a RD code head, would I use the
>A3 2.0l headgasket, or the RD?

My guess would be the a3 2.0 gasket, because the 2 important things are the
cylinder bore and the water/oil passages. The head doesn't matter on the
cylinder bore, and the water/oil passages in the head had BETTER be the
same as the block's if your puttin 'em togther!!

>	4. Last but not least how much does a tranny rebuild cost? Its
>shot, second gear grinds and only engages when it feels like it.

I dont know, I'm pulling a junkyard tranny apart right now to change
synchros, but I dont have enuf 'special' tools to even get the case apart I
dont know if i'll finish it.. Plus, use of a hydraulic press seems very
liberal in the Bently procedures about rebuilding it.

>	Any help is apprecciated,

your very welcome! any feedback is appreciated :)

>				Gary Huff
>
>--

Kevin Fry
aka aventari