Re: gut the cat.

OK. If anyone asks, I have no idea where I got this information. ;-)

You don't have to take the cat completely off. What you can do is
disconnect the main exhaust pipe from the cat and hang it out of the way.
Find a rod of some sort (broomstick or tent pole works well) to break up
the honeycomb. That's the hard part, since it is fairly dense stuff. When
you think you've gotten all the pieces small enough to fit out the hole,
start your car and rev the engine a few times. It makes a big mess, so
plan on sweeping really good when you're done. Have an excuse ready when
your neighbors come to find out what that really loud noise is. After
you've revved the engine a few times, shut it off and check for any more
chunks inside the cat. If they're too big, continue breaking them up and
blowing them out until you're done.

I wouldn't really recommend doing this, since (A) it's illegal, (B) IIRC,
the cat contains toxic materials that you don't want to breathe the dust
of, and (C) it's supposed to be bad for the environment, though there are
arguements against that. Considering that your car is probably running
worse and polluting more with a clogged cat, I might do it in your
position. Just remember it's your call.

Neal
88 16v

On Thu, 8 Jul 1999, Aaron wrote:

> Has anyone gutted their cat.?   I have an 84 8V, and the cat is falling
> apart from the inside out (lots of rattling).
>
> I think it's getting bad, because for about 20 minutes (out of a 50 minute
> ride) I felt excessive power loss.. and with a loud rattle from the cat,
> the power came back.
>
> I've been told this is probably due to the honey comb guts of the cat are
> probably falling apart and shifting due to vibrations when driving.
>
> Anyhow, I dont have the money right now to get the cat-back system, so I
> was hoping to gut the cat in order to buy me a month or two.
>
> Is there any danger in doing this with the 8V engine?  Will it cause flow
> problems / power loss?
>
> Also, is there any easy way to pull the cat off?  It looks as if this my be
> the original cat (15 years old) and the bolts are rust-welded to the
> mounting points.  I've soaked them in a indutrial version of liquid wrench
> for two days now... no luck though (cant even see threads on the screws).
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> -Aaron
>  84 8V

			Neal Tovsen