gut the cat.

Has anyone gutted their cat.?   I have an 84 8V, and the cat is falling
apart from the inside out (lots of rattling).

I think it's getting bad, because for about 20 minutes (out of a 50 minute
ride) I felt excessive power loss.. and with a loud rattle from the cat,
the power came back.

I've been told this is probably due to the honey comb guts of the cat are
probably falling apart and shifting due to vibrations when driving.

Anyhow, I dont have the money right now to get the cat-back system, so I
was hoping to gut the cat in order to buy me a month or two.

Is there any danger in doing this with the 8V engine?  Will it cause flow
problems / power loss?

Also, is there any easy way to pull the cat off?  It looks as if this my be
the original cat (15 years old) and the bolts are rust-welded to the
mounting points.  I've soaked them in a indutrial version of liquid wrench
for two days now... no luck though (cant even see threads on the screws).

Thanks for any help!

-Aaron
 84 8V