Re: gut the cat.

At 06:54 PM 7/8/99 -0400, you wrote:

>Has anyone gutted their cat.?   I have an 84 8V, and the cat is falling
>apart from the inside out (lots of rattling).

Yeah, I gots lotsa power after i did it. Definately worth it :)

>I think it's getting bad, because for about 20 minutes (out of a 50 minute
>ride) I felt excessive power loss.. and with a loud rattle from the cat,
>the power came back.
>
>I've been told this is probably due to the honey comb guts of the cat are
>probably falling apart and shifting due to vibrations when driving.

it is.. yer cat's toast. are you running rich of burning oil at all?
that'll clog it bad. fix that before you put a brand new one in

>Anyhow, I dont have the money right now to get the cat-back system, so I
>was hoping to gut the cat in order to buy me a month or two.
>
>Is there any danger in doing this with the 8V engine?  Will it cause flow
>problems / power loss?

no danger at all. Except from tha local authorities!

>Also, is there any easy way to pull the cat off?  It looks as if this my be
>the original cat (15 years old) and the bolts are rust-welded to the
>mounting points.  I've soaked them in a indutrial version of liquid wrench
>for two days now... no luck though (cant even see threads on the screws).

not if it's 15 years old.. umm use liquid wrench and heat liberally, thats
all I can say.
And get new gaskets for when you put it back together. (any muffler shop
should give ya a couple for free :)

>Thanks for any help!

yer welcome!

>-Aaron