Re: CO% Idle Mixture Adjustment

>I know l know...  the manuals say dealer only and the tool is very expensive.
>But  we all know it is a 3mm allen screw that is readily accessable especially
>on 16valves. My question is ; how can l adjust the mixture to the correct
>setting now that l have made engine modifications. Obviously l don't have an
>exhaust gas analizer ( that would be too easy ). So what l'm getting at is how
>to do it in my garage?   Can l read the plugs, sniff the exhaust, road test
>it, guess and check making a log of my experiments, or what!
>
>Give me your ideas, l feel that this aplies to most of us since we all love
>mods :-)
>
>Marco 88 16V

The procedure for doing this on CIS-E equipped cars (like your 16v)
is in the appropriate Bentley manual.  You use a multimeter that
can measure current down into the low milliamp range (1-20).  Put
it inline with the DPR on the back of the fuel distributor (requires
a specific VW wiring harness, but you can make one yourself if you're
any good at all with connectors and wires).  The specific mA ratings
are detailed in the manual.  Something like 4 mA at idle results in
a pretty good mixture (not gospel though, if anyone is truly interested,
I'll look it up).

==Brett