CO% Idle Mixture Adjustment

I know l know...  the manuals say dealer only and the tool is very expensive.
But  we all know it is a 3mm allen screw that is readily accessable especially
on 16valves. My question is ; how can l adjust the mixture to the correct
setting now that l have made engine modifications. Obviously l don't have an
exhaust gas analizer ( that would be too easy ). So what l'm getting at is how
to do it in my garage?   Can l read the plugs, sniff the exhaust, road test
it, guess and check making a log of my experiments, or what!

Give me your ideas, l feel that this aplies to most of us since we all love
mods :-)

Marco 88 16V