Re: CO% Idle Mixture Adjustment(Permatune?)

At 08:48 PM 1/22/99 -0500, PreCORRADO@aol.com wrote:
>I know l know...  the manuals say dealer only and the tool is very expensive.
>But  we all know it is a 3mm allen screw that is readily accessable
especially
>on 16valves. My question is ; how can l adjust the mixture to the correct
>setting now that l have made engine modifications. Obviously l don't have an
>exhaust gas analizer ( that would be too easy ). So what l'm getting at is
how
>to do it in my garage?   Can l read the plugs, sniff the exhaust, road test
>it, guess and check making a log of my experiments, or what!
>
>Give me your ideas, l feel that this aplies to most of us since we all love
>mods :-)
>
>Marco 88 16V

You could buy a Permatune.  They sell for around $50.  It is a clear
sparkplug that you install and make your adjustments until the color of the
flame is what the instructions indicate it should be.   When you are done
you put the real plug back in.  I haven't actually tried one, but will
probably buy one at some point.  Anybody out there have any experience with
these?

John Worden
Old Town, ME.
 '98  Dakota cc Sport 4x4, 3.9 auto, Intense Blue,
 '84  Scirocco (under construction) Brakes and Suspension currently
 '69  MGB Roadster(in need of restoration)