RE: Lightened flywheel??

lightening a VW flywheel involves machining off the entire weight ring
around the outside.  it can't get any lighter, i don't think, without
compromising the integrity of the part.  but the flywheel is only half
the rotating mass stuck on the end of the crank.  the pressure plate can
also be swapped for a lighter one, these are rather expensive, though
(~$400).  i wouldn't mind having it even lighter.  aside from the
slightly different launching technique, there are no driveability or
vibration problems with the lighter one.  i highly recommend this, and
it's often looked over as a performance bolt-on.  nearly all bolt-ons
concentrate on more power.  the same effect on acceleration can be had
by reducing the total inertia that the engine has to overcome to
accelerate the car.

i think the stock ones are 11lbs?  they are very light (much lighter
than a "normal" flywheel), but they still have high rotational inertia
because most of the weight is around the outside of the wheel.
machining the weight off the outside only takes off about 2 to 3 pounds
at the most, but it lowers the rotational inertia a lot.