RE: Lightened flywheel??

>nope.  it shouldn't affect MPG at all.  if anything you'll get more
>because of less mass that you have to spend power (and gas) speeding up
>(but this is a minuscule amount).  this of course is offset by possibly
>>>
>>hey is there a loss im MPG because of the lost momentum?
>>

>>>From: Chris Coracini <Coracin@usdl.com>
>>>To: 'scirocco list' <scirocco-L@scirocco.org>, 'Owen'
>>>	 <rabeys@cadvision.com>
>>>Subject: RE: Lightened flywheel??
>>>Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 09:46:37 -0500

>>doing
>>decrease
>>>
>>>i put one on about 3 months ago.  this thing rocks, it's a great mod
>>for
>>>ANY scirocco.  doesn't matter how much power you make, it will help
any
>>>engine spin up faster.  it's mostly noticeable in 1st and 2nd, a
little
>>>in 3rd.  i like the way the engine revs quicker when blipping the
>>>throttle to downshift, and the revs drop quicker when upshifting too.
>>>i can't really compare the smoothness before/after because i changed
>>all
>>>the motor mounts at the same time i changed the flywheel, but it's
like
>>>buttah now.  the only thing that took a little while to get used to
is
>>>taking off in 1st.  the stock flywheel provides a certain amount of
>>>inertia used to get the car rolling (probably the reason why the
stock
>>>one is so heavy).  when you lighten it, you engine revs will drop
>>faster
>>>and you may bog the engine.  just give her a little more gas as you
are
>>>taking up the clutch to keep the revs steady.  by the way, i've never
>>>heard (nor do i see how it's possible) of any decrease in clutch life
>>>because of this.  it does not require more slippage, it only requires
>>>you to give a little more gas to achieve the SAME amount of slippage
as
>>>stock.
>>>
>>>chris
>>>86 16V scirocco

Chris is right about the inertia thing. It comes out of Newton's law of
inertia. Inertia increases with mass. You need energy to overcome
inertia, and since inertia increases with mass, you need more and more
energy. Your still going to lose somewhere, like durability, and upper
end power since the fly wheel would have less inertial momentum than the
stock version. Overall your moving less mass, which requires less
energy. The power to weight ratio increases in favor of power. Sounds
like a clever way to get some lower end grunt out of a 16v.
J.S. Jackson
85 8v