Re: Lightened flywheel??

On Wed, 13 Jan 1999 22:18:39 -0500 Brett Van Sprewenburg
<brett@netacc.net> writes:

>>How heavy are they to begin with?
>
>They weigh around 11-12 pounds to begin with, after the weight ring is
>removed they weigh around 8-9.  There's really no other place to
>remove the weight from and make sure it stays strong.

My Scirocco flywheel was actually 10.5 lbs when we weighed it (with a
shipping scale @ VWP's shop.) . The one I put on it was 7.5 lbs.
My GLi's flywheel weighed 11.5 lbs and the lightened flywheel I got for
that weighed 6.5 lbs!

If you look at the flywheel, they obviously remove most of the ring gear.
They also (on the Velocity units) remove some of the detailing on the
front of the flywheel. (bumps? Something like that.) Then they reballance
the flywheels which to me is a very good thing to do, even for a
resurfaced unit.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and