Re: Snow tires, studded, etc?

I have NEVER heard of a shop studding used tires, and believe me, the
tires have to be made with small holes to accept the studs.  Call
around your local shops.  As for sizes, get what you are comfortable
with.  155/80's would drive me nuts, toooooo skinny to drive on the
dry, I'd be sideways ALL the time.  A "60" series tire will feel like
the Scirocco should, but your ground clearance will suffer.  I use a
175/70 so I get decent width for dry handling, and the 70 series adds
some ground clearence for the deeper snows.

As I said, call your local tire places and ask questions about
recommended sizes and studding costs.

Ken Buck
1999 Philadelphia Region SCCA RE
78 DSP VW Scirocco- regional champ 94, 95, 97, 98
85 VW Scirocco dirt Thunder Car
"1997 Rookie of the Year" Linda's Speedway(retired in 1998, but back in 99!!)
80 Scirocco-S  copper, 1.8L (cold start problem)
84 Scirocco (finally road worthy)