Snow tires, studded, etc?

    I know this went around, and I'm sorry.  Here's more winter qusetions
for 16V.  And thanks to those who answered before...
    So I can buy studded tires and I can also take my tires to the shop to
be studded?   Does it have to be snow tires to be studded or can it be any
tire?     Someone said that is possible.   Better yet...What is the most
cost effective (I mean cheapest!!) way to get good results in winter
weather?    Go and buy snow tires?    Go buy studded tires?     Get an old
pair of tires laying around & have them studded?      Buy snow tires, then
have them studded?
165/70/14?   175/50/13?   155/80/13?
    I just want to be able to drive safely this winter in the NYC streets,
and in the hills of Vermont.
TIA
Peace
Rich