Re: rear disks

 My buddy did the swap on his 80 Scirocco and
>has no problems without the valve.  I too have the rear axle waiting to go
>on and I dont plan on using the valves, unless of course I hear otherwise.
>
> Andre'

>> If your going to put rear discs on an 83 or 84 rabbit gti you have to
>> change the proportioning valve also, this is important for safety
>> reasons.

I did the swap......easier to do just the spindles BTW.....and did not use
the valves. No problem what so ever. Occasionally...and that is almost a
rarity, I will lock up my r/rear wheel. I had watched a number of threads
go thru the list on this, and had asked a number of rear disk
converts.....all gave slightly different answers...but the most common was
that if you keep the 9.4s on the front..no valves are needed....change to
the 10.1s.......and you have to install the valves. I myself prefer the 9.4
because where I am....13" steel wheels are MUCH easier to get for winter
wheels than 14".