RE: Wheel arch sizes

>What type of wheels did the GTX have?

I think they had them over there in the states also
Jamie Geddes' homepage has pictures of his very nice GTX on it
http://members.aol.com/egj123/info.htm
the other car is just like mine. Same green. Same crappy wheels.

>      Anything up to 195/50-15 should be OK. I use 15X7 on my 1982 with no
>      bodykit.
>
>      The GTX has the body kit, according to one of my books - the
>      GT has the
>      kit in black as well (is this true of yours?). This I
>      believe is what the
>      Haynes manual is referring to as "wheel arch extensions.

My Gt does have a black bodykit. I thought the GTX may have had a wider
version.

>      Interesting that your insurance would even know about the
>      wheels, over
>      here I've never been asked by insurance co's about what
>      wheels I have on
>      the car.

When I insured the car originally they asked what wheels were on it and what
modifications had been made. These would increase the premium.
I have stock steel wheels. I told the insurance that I had ordinary Scirocco
wheels so that if I did change to the GTX alloys they couldn't complain.
As regards the possibility of not telling the insurance company, I know a
lady who changed the steel wheels on her golf to Momo alloys. She then
proceeded to crash the car. The insurance wouldn't pay up because they
weren't notified of the change of wheels.
British insurance is totally unfair.

Mark Thomas '87 Scirocco GT
Email: scirocco.gt@virgin.net <mailto:scirocco.gt@virgin.net>