Re: [non-Scirocco] VR6 & VW

Kareem, I believe the Jetta/Bora will be offered in Europe this year with the
204hp 24valve VR6.  Maybe plans have changed as of late, tho.  Anyone know for
sure?

                                                "New V6 In Golf IV/Bora in Europe

                                                 The new top-of-the-range version
of the current
                                                 generation of Golfs will be
shown at the Paris Auto
                                                 Show. This includes a new V6
engine with a
                                                 displacement of 2.8 litres and a
power output of 150 kW
                                                 204 bhp. From spring 1999, this
new 24-valve engine
                                                 will be available exclusively in
the four-wheel drive
                                                 "4MOTION" version of the Golf.
                                                 Volkswagen is not specifically
calling this motor VR6, but
                                                 we believe that is what is being
referred to. So far
                                                 Volkswagen of America literature
shows the U.S. getting
                                                 the "old" VR6 with two-valve
head and 172bhp in the
                                                 Golf IV and Jetta IV when they
arrive here. We'll be
                                                 following this
closely."-VwVortex.com

Baddour Kareem E wrote:

> While the VR6 is indeed alive and kicking,
> (I was one of the VR6 doom-sayers, so I was wrong)
> it's interesting to note that not ONE SINGLE 1999 MODEL
> right now in europe has the VR6. THe 1.8T and VR5 has
> replaced the VR6 there (unless they are going to put in
> on the 4-motion Golf). The VR6 it seems has become a
> strictly north american engine..makes sense, seeing
> our gas prices are astronomically low, so we can
> afford to guzzle gas to our hearts content and
> deplete the oil reserves of the world..Maybe when
> the oil prices go up or the oil is depleted, we'll
> see the end of this overconsumption trend and the
> SUV's and lard-bucket VWs will be replaced with
> light sport-coupes once again. Here's dreaming
> to a return of a sub 2400lb VW in North
> America.
>
> Kareem,
>
> On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Mark A Peele wrote:
>
> > This should squash the rumours that VW was dropping the (fabulous) VR6:
> >
> > I am reading the Nov 16, 1998 Autoweek - they reviewed the new Jetta
> > which in the test car featured . . . guess what? A VR6
> >
> > They discussed at length which models would feature what engines (not
> > just the GLX, but also the GLS at under $20K).
> >
> > I guess I'm bored . . .
> >
> > Mark . . .   (THINK VW)
> > Scirocco 1982, Golf GT 1987
> > Scirocco 1981 S (working on this)