Re: RPM'S

This all depends on what type of transmission you have, assuming that you are running w/ the stock wheels.  I have a 4k tranny which is a close ratio tranny.  Better for acceleration, but not so good for highway cruising.  When I am going 60 mph, my tach is pegged at 3,000 rpms, at 80mph it is pegged at 4,000 rpms.  I am thinking about doing a 5th gear conversion just so I can cruise a little easier on the highway.  I haven't ever thought of going to a wide ration tranny b/c the close ratio is so much fun!  I am sure other list members w/ close ratios can attest to that.

Find out what kind of tranny you have and go to Scirocco.org and go to the VW decoder link.  Plug in your numbers and this will tell you what your gear ratios are, and tell you if its a close or wide ration tranny.

Victor J. Farren
Research & Reference Services
PPC/CDIE/DIO/RRS
Tel: (202) 661-5842
Fax: (202) 661-5891
E-mail: vfarren@rrs.cdie.org

>>> <Cornet76@aol.com> 01/05 12:49 AM >>>
Hello list!

      I am looking for anyone who is familliar with my '85 Scirocco and it's
workings because I think there could be something wrong with the way the spedo
reads or something. My concern is that at highway speeds, 60-65, by the
spedometer, my engine runs well over 3,000 rpm in fith gear. It just seems
pretty fast. I was wondering if that is normal, or if I am really going faster
that what my speedometer is telling me. I hope there is someone that can put
me at ease about all of this!

  													Thanks in advance
														Jeff E.
													'85 Scrocco 5 -speed